Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Resume Link

I read two articles from careerjournal.com that gave helpful tips about resumes.
The first article I read was "Tricks of the Trade: Writing a Good Resume" by Joshua Lipton. The article was short but included information about including sport on a resume. A former coach, Roy Blitzer, did not like that someone included intramural sport on his or her resume. I disagree with this decision. I know that it could appear to be a hobbie, but intramural sport is an activity that allows for a person in college to play sport who were not on the NCAA Division I, II, or III team. Some people do not have the time or may not qualify for the NCAA so they play sport to involve themselves with the college. I also disagree with this decision because students are still responsible to organize their time to play the games and use social qualities such as good sportsmanship in competition. I personally think that intramural sport should qualify in the category of activities or other experience on a resume.

The other article I read was "Smart Resume Advice: Fewer Words Say More" by Perri Capell. The article says to keep the resume brief. The article emphasizes to write about the desired goal that the person wants in the job. The author recommends that when creating a resume to not discuss past jobs that a person does not want anymore. In class, Angie advised us about similar things to do and not to do in our resumes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. It takes the same kind of work ethic to play an intramural sport. I support the idea of using this on the resume.